Skip to the content
- When an engine burns diesel, it releases a mixture of particulates and gaseous materials.
- These include benzene, arsenic, nitrogen dioxide and some particulate matter.
- Inhalation of diesel fumes from vehicles and diesel generator sets causes cancer by breaking the DNA of various cells in the body.
- PM <= 2.5 microns in diameter, enters the lungs and penetrates the lower respiratory tract and blood vessels around the heart.
- NO2 from the exhaust can damage lung tissues irreversibly, lower one’s immunity and cause brain damage.