From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : DSRO, Mission Shakti
Mains level : Mission Shakti and India's preparedness for space war
- To enhance the capabilities of the armed forces to fight wars in space, the government has approved the setting up of a new agency which will develop sophisticated weapon systems and technologies.
Defence Space Research Agency
- The Cabinet Committee on Security headed by PM Modi has cleared the setting up of the DSRO.
- It has been entrusted with the task of creating space warfare weapon systems and technologies.
- The agency would be provided with a team of scientists which would be working in close coordination with the tri-services integrated Defence staff officers.
- It would be providing the research and development support to the Defence Space Agency (DSA) which comprises members of the three services.
- The DSA has been created “to help the country fight wars in the space”.
- The Defence Space Agency is being set up in Bengaluru under an Air Vice Marshal-rank officer and will gradually take over the space-related capabilities of the three forces.
Why such move?
- In March, India had carried out the Anti Satellite Test (ASAT) which demonstrated its capability to shoot down satellites and joined an elite club of four nations with similar capability.
- The test also helped the country develop deterrence capability against adversaries who may want to attack Indian satellites to cripple systems in times of war.
Posted on | The Hindu