From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not Much
Mains level : Adressing shortage of doctors in India
- The Niti Aayog has agreed to a Dental Council of India proposal to allow dentists to practice as general physicians after a bridge course.
Meeting shortage of doctors
- The DCI had last year also sent a proposal to the medical education regulator—Medical Council of India — but the previous council did not take it forward.
- It was urged that unconventional methods be adopted to address the shortage of doctors in the country, particularly in rural areas.
- Country’s largest body of private doctors—Indian Medical Association—which had earlier opposed a similar course for AYUSH practitioners has vehemently protested the proposed move too.
About the bridge course
- The DCI has proposed a post Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS) bridge course running for 3 years.
- The admissions would be either through a common entrance exam or through cumulative marks secured in the BDS course, or even a combination.
- As per the DCI, the syllabus curriculum, scheme of examination, method of evaluation, degrees and registration all these criteria will be the same as recommended for MBBS.