From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : DMIC, SIR
Mains level : Smart Cities in India
- Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant pushed the idea of Dholera as the first “green city in the world”.
Dholera Special Investment Region
- The Dholera Special Investment Region is one of the several Greenfield cities that have been planned on the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC).
- Located about 100 kilometres south-west of Ahmedabad, Dholera will be connected to the city by a six-lane Expressway with a metrorail running through its centre.
- A greenfield international airport is also being developed in the vicinity which will unburden the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International airport of some of its traffic.
- Six of the 24 nodes identified on the DMIC are in Gujarat.
- The government had set up the Gujarat Industrial Corridor Corporation (GICC), an SPV to oversee development on the DMIC, a decade ago.
What’s so special ?
- The Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR) is slated to be bigger than Singapore.
- It covers an estimated 920 square kilometers, encompassing 22 villages of Dholera taluka of Ahmedabad district and is strategically located between Ahmedabad, Vadodara and Bhavnagar.
- The Dholera SIR entails development of total 9225 hectares of land up to 2040 and will employ an estimated 8 lakh persons and will house 20 lakh inhabitants.
- Phase-I of the project which entails developing basic infrastructure in 22.5 square kilometres of activation area will cost roughly Rs 4,400 crore.
- In Phase-I, 52 per cent will be industrial and 28 per cent will be residential.
Special Investment Region (SIR)
- Special Investment Region (SIR) is a concept similar to Special Economic Zone.
- However, this is a unique term applied in the territory of the state of Gujarat.
- The Gujarat government has enacted a legal framework for the SIR – The Gujarat Special Investment Region Act – 2009(GSIR -2009) which has come into effect from 6th January, 2009.
- SIR refers to an existing or proposed Investment Region with an area of more than 100 sq. Kms or Industrial Area with an area of 50-100 sq. Kms declared so by the state under Section 3 of the Gujarat Special Investment Region Act – 2009.
- By giving SIR status, Gujarat govt. proposes to develop the investment region /industrial area as global hubs of economic activity supported by world class infrastructure, premium civic amenities, centers of excellence and proactive policy framework.
Delhi–Mumbai Industrial Corridor Project
- The DMIC Project is a planned industrial development project between India’s capital, Delhi and its financial hub, Mumbai.
- It is one of the world’s largest infrastructure projects with an estimated investment of US$90 billion and is planned as a high-tech industrial zone spread across six states as well as Delhi.
- The investments will be spread across the 1,500 km long Western Dedicated Freight Corridor which will serve as the industrial corridor’s transportation backbone.
- It includes 24 industrial regions, eight smart cities, two international airports, five power projects, two mass rapid transit systems, and two logistical hubs.