Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From the UPSC perspective following things are important:
Prelims Level: What IMR is, SRS bulletin.
Mains Level: IMR is an important health factor.
What is IMR?
- Infant Mortality Rate(IMR) is counted as the number of deaths per 1,000 live births
Data released by the Sample Registration Survey (SRS) bulletin
- According to the SRS’ data, states from the east and northeastern part of the country have registered a significant drop in IMR
- The all-India IMR has also decreased from 37 in 2015 to 34 in 2016
- The SRS bulletin, published by the office of Registrar General of India\
- Bihar, which has the highest density of population in the country, has recorded a drop of four points in IMR from 42 in 2015 to 38 in 2016
- In Assam, the IMR has dropped from 47 to 43 and in Jharkhand, it has dropped from 32 to 29
- In Odisha, the IMR have dropped from 46 to 44
- West Bengal, which has been showing a steady decline over the past few years, has recorded a drop of one point from 26 in 2015 to 25 in 2016