- Source: Commerce & Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- She said the Election Commission of India (ECI) needs to look into the proposal for state funding of elections
- Reason: To combat the influence of cash and black money in them
State funding of elections and other electoral reforms such as one state and national election have been in the news frequently these past few months. They are important for mains.
State funding essentially means the state shall provide funds to political parties to contest elections, and in return, there are restrictions on their accepting funds from public sources. State funding is a concept designed to reduce corruption. Some govt committees which have looked at state funding of elections in the past are:
1. The Committee on Constitutional Reforms and the Law Commission (2015)
2. Second Administrative Reforms Commission (2008)
3. National Commission to Review the Working of the Constitution (2001)