From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Eco-anxiety
Mains level : Environmentalism: Prospects and Challenges
This newscard is inspired by an article published in The Hindu.
- Eco-anxiety is anxiety about ecological disasters and threats to the natural environment such as pollution and climate change.
- Variations to the definition exist such as the broader description explaining it as the “worry or agitation caused by concerns about the present and future state of the environment.”
- It is the helplessness that makes us see ourselves as just one insignificant entity on the planet, unable to reverse the crisis.
- It is also the sense that no matter how hard we work, nothing will ever be enough.
- We know the deteriorating climate is affecting our health or our child’s but you do not know how you can stop it.
A new global epidemic
- Swedish schoolgirl Greta Thunberg, who started the school strike for climate, warned to be extremely concerned about the matter: “…I don’t want you to be hopeful, I want you to panic.
- When she was younger, she fell into a depression and she has claimed that this was because of her worries about climate change.