Wildlife Conservation Efforts

Environment Ministry notifies draft rules of Compensatory Afforestation Act

Note4students

Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment

From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:

Prelims level: Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act 2016

Mains level: Laws enacted for forest and wildlife conservation


Draft rules for the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act 2016

  1. The Environment Ministry has notified the draft rules of the Compensatory Afforestation Act
  2. The act seeks to ensure expeditious utilization of amounts realized in lieu of forest land diverted for non-forest purpose

Provisions for using funds

  1. 80 percent of the monies received towards net present value (NPV) and penal net present value in the state fund in a fiscal will be used for 12 activities for forest and wildlife management
  2. The activities include assisted natural regeneration, artificial regeneration (by plantations), silvicultural operations in forests, protection of plantations and forests, pest and disease control in forest and forest fire prevention and control operations
  3. They also include soil and moisture conservation in the forest, improvement of wildlife habitat, relocation of villages from protected areas, planting, and rejuvenation of forest cover on non-forest land falling in wildlife corridors, establishment, operation and maintenance of animal rescue center and veterinary treatment facilities for wild animals
  4. The remaining 20 percent of the NPV will be utilised for strengthening the forest and wildlife-related infrastructure, capacity building of the personnel of state forest departments and other associated agencies and organisations

Back2Basics

Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act 2016

  1. This act provides for setting up Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) at both central and state level to ensure expeditious and transparent utilization of amounts realized in lieu of forest land diverted for non-forest purpose
  2. The act seeks to establish the National Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of India, and a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of each state
  3. The payments into the funds include compensatory afforestation, NPV, and any project-specific payments
  4. NPV quantifies the services provided by the forest. It includes goods and services (tourism and timber); regulating services (climate change); and non-material benefits (recreation)
  5. Levies are imposed on development projects that seek land inside a Reserved Forest or a Protected Area (PA) in a sanctuary or a national park
  6. These collected levies are accrued in the CAMPA Funds which are to be utilized to plant trees elsewhere in order to ostensibly compensate the loss of forest due to development projects
  7. The National Fund will get 10% of funds collected and the remaining 90% will go to respective State Fund
  8. The Forest (Conservation) Act of 1980 governs diversion or use of forest land for non-forest purposes such as industrial or developmental projects
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments