From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Extra Neutral Alcohol (ENA)
Mains level : Not Much
Alcohol manufacturers citing a shortage of domestic supplies have sought a reduction in import duty of Extra Neutral Alcohol to make it cost-effective for them to import from global markets.
Extra Neutral Alcohol (ENA)
- Like ethanol, ENA is a byproduct of the sugar industry and is formed from molasses that are a residue of sugarcane processing.
- It is the primary raw material for making alcoholic beverages.
- It is colourless food-grade alcohol that does not have any impurities.
- It has a neutral smell and taste and typically contains over 95 per cent alcohol by volume.
- It is derived from different sources — sugarcane molasses and grains — and is used in the production of alcoholic beverages such as whisky, vodka, gin, cane, liqueurs, and alcoholic fruit beverages.
Uses of ENA
- ENA also serves as an essential ingredient in the manufacture of cosmetics and personal care products such as perfumes, toiletries, hair spray, etc.
- Given its properties as a good solvent, ENA also finds industrial use and is utilized in the production of some lacquers, paints and ink for the printing industry, as well as in pharmaceutical products such as antiseptics, drugs, syrups, medicated sprays.
- Consultancy firm IMARC Group’s estimates put the ENA market in India at a volume of 2.9 billion litres in 2018.