Mains Paper 3: Economy | Mobilization of resources
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Everything about FSDC
Mains level: Mandate of the FSDC
- The Sub-Committee of the FSDC has discussed ways to address challenges pertaining to the quality of credit ratings in the wake of the IL&FS defaults crisis.
Against faulty Credit Rating
- Credit rating firms, currently regulated by the SEBI had come under sharp criticism from the RBI recently for failing to identify financial troubles in various companies, especially in the case of IL&FS, which commanded AAA rating just before it started defaulting.
- RBI officials had expressed concerns over the inability of rating agencies’ to assess credit risk and take timely rating actions.
- FSDC is an apex-level body constituted by the Government of India to create a super regulatory body as mooted by the Raghuram Rajan Committee in 2008.
- Finally in 2010, the then Finance Minister of India, Pranab Mukherjee, decided to set up such an autonomous body dealing with macro prudential and financial regularities in the entire financial sector of India.
- An apex-level FSDC is not a statutory body. No funds are separately allocated to the council for undertaking its activities.
- Chairperson: The Union Finance Minister of India
- Governor Reserve Bank of India (RBl),
- Finance Secretary and/ or Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs (DEA),
- Secretary, Department of Financial Services (DFS),
- Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs,
- Chief Economic Advisor, Ministry of Finance.
- Other members include chairman of SEBI, IRDA, PFRDA and IBBI
- Financial Stability
- Financial Sector Development
- Inter-Regulatory Coordination
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Inclusion
- Macro prudential supervision of the economy including the functioning of large financial conglomerates
- Coordinating India’s international interface with financial sector bodies like the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), Financial Stability Board (FSB) and any such body as may be decided by the Finance Minister from time to time.
Posted on | The Indian Express