Mains Paper 2: IR | India & its neighborhood- relations.
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Nepal’s recent proximity to China and India’s efforts at winning back Nepal’s trust
Increasing connectivity with Nepal
- The first passenger train to run on broad gauge between India and Nepal is likely to run from December this year
- The train will run from Jayanagar in Bihar to Kurtha in Dhanusa district in Janakpur Zone of south-eastern Nepal, which is a 34 km stretch
- The Jayanagar-Kurtha rail line was originally built during the British Raj to transport logs from forests at Mahottari to India
- No visa will be required for Indian and Nepalese nationals crossing the border through this stretch
Why such move?
- The move is being seen as part of efforts to counter China’s plans to forge rail links with Nepal
- After Beijing decided to extend its railway network up to Kathmandu, New Delhi proposed the construction of new railway links during Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli’s recent visit to India
About the project
- Nepal and India have plans for four cross-border railway links, including one to link Raxaul to Kathmandu
- The Rs 5.5-billion (Nepalese Rs 8.8 billion) project is divided into three phases
- Of the total length, only three kilometres is in Indian territory