Koirala was suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and he succumbed to the disease.
- Mr. Koirala was elected as 37th Prime Minister of Nepal from February 10, 2014 till September 2015
- He had entered politics in 1954 by joining Nepali Congress after he was inspired by party’s the social-democratic ideals
- Since then he had served in various capacities of the Nepali Congress and was elected as its President in 2010 till his death
- Under his leadership, Nepali Congress had emerged as the largest party in the 2013 Constituent Assembly elections
- During his tenure as Prime Minister in June 2015, a historic agreement among 4 major political parties was reached
- Which paved the way for unopposed adaptation of new republic constitution of Nepal