Mains Paper 3 : Various Security Forces, Agencies & Their Mandates |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : INS Vela, Project 75
Mains level : India's naval arsenal
- The Scorpene-class submarine Vela, the fourth of six underwater warships being built in India with French collaboration, was launched in Mumbai.
- The submarine has been named ‘Vela’ after an earlier lead submarine of the erstwhile Vela class, which was the second batch of the Foxtrot class submarines acquired from erstwhile Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR).
- INS Vela is the fourth Scorpene class Submarine of Project 75.
- INS Kalvari, the first of the Scorpene-class submarines, was commissioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 14, 2017.
- INS Khanderi and INS Karanj are in advanced stages to join the fleet.
- The remaining two — INS Vagir and INS Vagsheer are in the advanced stages of manufacturing.
Scorpene Class Submarine: What it means?
- The Scorpene class submarines have the capability to be operational in any theatre also have the capability of undertaking different types of missions, which include anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying and area surveillance.
- They have top end stealth features which includes advanced acoustic silencing techniques, low radiated noise levels, hydro-dynamically optimised shape and the ability to launch a crippling attack on the enemy using precision-guided weapons.
Who built it?
- The State-owned Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited has entered into a contract for construction and transfer of technology for six Scorpene-class submarines with French collaborator Ms Naval Group (formerly DCNS).