- Source: Heidi Grant, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs
- What: Enthusiasm for the India-U.S. defence logistics agreements is not waning from the U.S. side despite the transition in the White House
- Context: The feeling in New Delhi has been that the enthusiasm for the deals has dampened with the imminent Trump presidency
- India and the United States signed LEMOA in August, a custom made version of the Logistics Sharing Agreement (LSA)
- However, the agreement is yet to be operationalised
- There are 2 other logistics and information sharing agreements, the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA)
- And the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA)
- These together with LSA form the 3 foundational agreements that define American defence ties with partner countries.
- These other two agreements are yet to be signed
What are LSA, CISMOA and BECA agreements?
Welcome to the world of 3 foundational agreements that the US has been insisting on India to sign to further enhance the bilateral defence and strategic relationship.
The Logistics Support Agreement (LSA)
- LSA would set a framework for the two countries to share military logistics
- To assist each other’s armed forces with simple military logistics. For the U.S. Navy, for example, logistics support from India would be a valuable asset, helping it better project power in the Indian Ocean.
LSA would allow each other to access their military bases without any conflict for e.g in 1991 Gulf war India denied the US from refuelling its aircraft from Indian territory.
The Communication and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA)
- CISMOA would allow the United States to supply India with its propriety encrypted communications equipment and systems
- Thus allowing secure peacetime and wartime communication between high-level military leaders on both sides
- CISMOA would extend this capability to Indian and U.S. military assets, including aircraft and ships
The Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA)
- BECA would set a framework through which the United States could share sensitive data to aid targeting and navigation with India
This news is mainly important because of the many agreements listed. Questions based on it could come in prelims and mains. You could be asked for short notes, or to give their features, importance etc.