From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ganga Data Collector
Mains level : Namami Gange Project
Ganga Data Collector
- Dehradun based Wildlife Institute of India (WII) has launched a mobile application “Ganga Data Collector”.
- This is under the “Biodiversity and Ganga Conservation” project initiated by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) of Union Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The app will provide field researchers with a complete data entry solution to monitor the aquatic population in the river.
- The scientists of WII, Ganga Prahri volunteers and staff of the forest department in the Ganga Basin will use this application on their mobile phones.
- The Ganga basin covers 11 states including Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, West Bengal and Delhi.
- It will make faster collection of more authentic and accurate data related to water quality and aquatic life in Ganga.
- The associates will collect data related to quality of water, presence of different species of fishes, amphibians and reptiles, crocodiles and turtles, dolphins, birds, water level and weather.
- They will file these details in data-sheets along with information of date, time and location of collection data.