Make intelligent use of information technology to deliver better civic services.
- Rapid and poorly regulated urbanisation has overwhelmed urban governments, rendering them incapable of providing even basic services.
- Smart city is one that “enables a decent life to the citizens, and green and sustainable environment, besides enabling adoption of smart solutions”.
- Smart cities would create virtually new business districts in several cities, marking a departure from the disaggregated urban development witnessed in the past.
- This area-based development approach makes it imperative that the resulting demand for mobility to and from the ‘smart’ area be made an integral part of the plan.
- Emphasis should be on walkability, use of non-motorised transport and access to public transport.
- Care also needs to be taken that the effect is not to create gated communities of best practices.
- But ensuring that these urban enclaves cater to the housing, health, education and recreation needs of a wide cross section of society.