From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Highlights of the report
Mains level : Climate change induced mortality in India
India saw the most pollution deaths — about 2.3 million — a new report has found. Air pollution — both ambient and indoor — is one of the largest and most obvious types of pollution affecting global health.
About the report
- The report is titled Pollution and Health Metrics: Global, Regional and Country Analysis.
- It is released by the Global Alliance on Health and Pollution (GAHP).
- It seeks to update findings from The Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health, and provides a ranking of pollution deaths on global, regional and country levels.
- The report uses the most recent Global Burden of Disease data from the Institute of Health Metrics Evaluation.
Deaths in India
- India is followed by China in the number of pollution deaths, with about 1.8 million.
- The United States makes the top 10 list with 1,97,000 pollution-related deaths, while ranking 132nd in the number of deaths per 100,000 people.
- The report includes three lists on pollution-induced deaths. India is the only country that features in the top 10 in all three lists.
- The top 10 countries with the most pollution deaths include both the world’s largest and wealthiest nations, and some of its poorer ones.