From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : GRAF
Mains level : Need for accurate weather forecasting
The global IT giant IBM plans to make a high-resolution weather forecast model. It will also rely on user-generated data to improve the accuracy of forecasts available in India.
- It is the acronym for Global High-Resolution Atmospheric Forecasting System (GRAF).
- It is the forecast system is called, can generate forecasts at a resolution of 3 kilometres.
- This is a significantly higher resolution than the 12-kilometre models used by the IMD to generate forecasts.
- These weather forecast techniques rely on dynamic modelling and collect a trove of atmospheric and ocean data crunch it in supercomputers and generate forecasts over desired time-frames — three days, weekly or fortnightly.
- Weather forecasts will be available to individuals for free download and can be used by farmers.
- The forecast engine will also be used to provide custom forecasts for energy companies, consumer brands, insurance businesses and satellite imagery analysts.