From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Global Refugee Forum (GRF)
Mains level : Refugees issue across the world
The first Global Refugee Forum (GRF), a two-day gathering of United Nations member states, began in Geneva, Switzerland.
Global Refugee Forum (GRF)
- The Forum is jointly hosted by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the UN Refugee Agency, and the government of Switzerland.
- It aims to debate and discuss the response of the world’s countries to the global refugee situation.
- The first GRF has been organised around six areas of focus: burden- and responsibility-sharing, education, jobs and livelihoods, energy and infrastructure, solutions, and protection capacity.
Terms of reference
- The GRF will be held every four years at the Ministerial level.
- It is intended to present an opportunity for UN member states and other stakeholders to announce action plans and pledges towards meeting objectives such as easing the burden on the host country.
- It aims at enhancing refugee self-reliance, expanding access to third-country solutions, and supporting conditions in countries of origin for return in safety and dignity.