Mains Paper 2: IR | Indian Diaspora
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: What is proxy voting?
Mains level: Important electoral reform. One should go through its benefits for Mains paper 2
Changes in Electoral Laws
- The Government has approved changes in electoral laws to permit Non-Resident Indians to cast their vote in assembly and Lok Sabha elections from overseas
- If the proposal passes in Parliament, NRIs will be able to exercise their voting rights through “proxy”
- Currently, only service personnel are permitted to vote through proxy
Why is proposed facility of proxy for NRIs different from service personnel?
- The facility for NRIs will not be the same as that enjoyed by service personnel
- For example, voters in the armed forces can nominate their relatives as permanent proxy to vote on their behalf
- Facility for NRIs: Overseas electors will have to appoint a nominee afresh for each election
- One person can act as proxy for only one overseas voter