Mains Paper 1: Social Issues | Urbanization , their problems & remedies
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: GHTC
Mains level: Housing for all
- To make the construction of houses cost-effective and innovative, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched the Global Housing Technology Challenge (GHTC).
Global Housing Technology Challenge (GHTC)
- The aim of the initiative — under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U) — is to fast-track the construction of affordable housing and meet the target of constructing 1.2 crore houses by 2022.
- GHTC-India challenge is a well-conceptualized and designed programme to bring out the most innovative, simple, effective and appropriate solutions for making housing available and affordable to the common man.
- Under the challenge, a grand expo-cum-conference on GHTC will be organised in March which will be a unique platform not only for the stakeholders but also for the States/Union Territories and technical institutions.
Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerators
- GHTC-India challenge will also focus on identifying and mainstreaming proven demonstrable technologies for lighthouse projects and spotting potential future technologies for incubation and acceleration support through ASHA (Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerators) — India.