Mains Paper 2: Governance | Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims Level: Particulars of the Scheme
Mains level: Electrification of all Villages is one of the most important objectives of this government.
- Government has launched a Rs 16,320-crore scheme to supply electricity to all households by December 2018,
- This scheme will provide free connections to the poor and at very low cost to others
- Scheme: The Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojna, named ‘Saubhagya‘
- Rural Electrification Corp will be the nodal agency for the scheme
- While public institutions and panchayats will be authorised to collect applications forms, distribute bills and collect payments
Particulars of the Scheme
- It aims to improve the environment, public health, education and connectivity with the help of last-mile power connections across India
- It will help reduce the use of kerosene lamps in non-electrified households
- States that complete the scheme by December next year would be given an additional 15% grant by the Centre as incentive
- The scheme is being funded to the extent of 60% by central grants, 30% by bank loans and 10% by states
- Under the scheme, electricity connections will be given free to people identified by the Socio Economic and Caste Census of 2011
- The scheme promises on-the-spot registration of applications