Mains Paper 3: Security| Linkages of organized crime with terrorism
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: TMG
Mains level: Militancy and cross-border terrorism in India
- To take action against “hard core sympathizers among government employees, including teachers, who are providing covert or overt support” to terror-related activities, the MHA has formed a Terror Monitoring Group (TMG).
Terror Monitoring Group
- In order to ensure synergized and concerted action against terror financing and other related activities in J&K, a multi-disciplinary monitoring group comprising eight members has been constituted.
- The TMG has to take coordinated action in all registered cases that relate to terror financing and terror-related activities and bring them to a logical conclusion.
- The TMG will be chaired by Additional DGP, CID of J&K Police, and include Inspector General of Police of J&K and Additional Director of IB, J&K, as members.
- It will also have representatives from the CBI, NIA, CBDT and Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.
Terms of reference
- It will identify all key persons, including leaders of the organisation(s), who are involved in supporting terrorism in any form and take concerted action against them.
- The TMG will investigate the networks of various channels being used to fund terror and terror activities and take coordinated action to stop flow of such funds.
- The group will meet on a weekly basis and submit action-taken report regularly to the MHA.