Mains Paper 2: Governance | Development processes
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Ladakh Admin Division
Mains level: Decentralization of administrative control
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor has granted Ladakh a divisional status, thus creating three administrative units of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh in the State.
The Ladakh Division
- The J&K government has approved the creation of a separate administrative and revenue division for Ladakh.
- It will comprise Leh and Kargil districts, with headquarters at Leh.
- Earlier, Ladakh was a part of the Kashmir division.
- Ladakh will now get its own Divisional Commissioner and Inspector General of Police.
- Ladakh’s Kargil and Leh districts already have separate hill development councils for local administrative powers.
- The move leaves the Kashmir valley geographically the smallest division at 15,948 sq. km, Jammu division at 26,293 sq. km and Ladakh, the biggest division, at 86,909 sq. km.
Why such move?
- The remoteness and inaccessibility of the area makes it eligible for establishing a separate division.
- During the winter months, the entire Ladakh region remains cut-off from the rest of the country for almost six months.
- A section in Leh also has been demanding Union Territory status.
Posted on | The Hindu