Petroleum Ministry will spend Rs.30,000 crore for upgrading refineries to implement the clean fuel technology.
- The government, in a move to fight pollution, will implement Bharat Standard (BS)-VI emission norms by April 1, 2020.
- The minister urged automobile manufacturers, who had opposed an early deadline to implement the norms due to financial burden, to co-operate.
- The decision was taken a day after the Supreme Court pressed for implementing clean vehicular fuel norms soon amid concerns on rising air pollution especially in Delhi.
- Supreme Court had asked the government to implement BS-VI norms earlier than the April 2021 deadline fixed by the Union government.
- The apex court also ordered shutting down more entry points at the national capital border for heavy commercial vehicles not meant for Delhi.