Skip to the content
- The union govt. is set to increase the maternity leave for women employed in private firms from the existing 12 weeks to 26 weeks.
- Govt. has taken into account the 6 months of breastfeeding that is required post childbirth.
- Currently, the women are entitled to 12 weeks of maternity benefit whereby employers are liable to pay full wages for the period of leave.
- However, women employed in govt. jobs in India get a 6-month maternity leave.
- The International Labour Organisation recommends a minimum standard maternity leave of 14 weeks or more.