Amid concerns over the rising air pollution, the Union government is going to notify norms soon for vehicles to shift to clean fuels under Euro V and VI emission standards.
- The introduction of clean fuels under Euro V and VI standards will be done in phases.
- According to the draft, old vehicles will need to switch to Euro V and Euro VI norms from April 1, 2019 and April 1, 2021 respectively.
- The new norms are planned to be introduced in new vehicles from 2020 and 2022.
- At present, BS-IV auto fuels are being supplied in over 30 cities, and the rest of the country has BS-III fuels.
- Supreme Court has banned registration of diesel cars and SUVs with 2000 CC engine capacities in the Delhi and the National Capital Region till March 31, 2016.