Mains Paper 2 : Governance, Transparency & Accountability, Citizens Charters |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Jal Shakti Abhiyan
Mains level : Ensuring safe drinking water for all
- The Centre is set to initiate the Jal Shakti Abhiyan to ramp up rainwater harvesting and conservation efforts in 255 water-stressed districts of the country.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- The Jal Shakti Abhiyan would aim to accelerate water harvesting, conservation and borewell recharge activities already being carried out under the MGNREGS and the Integrated Watershed Management Programme of the Rural Development Ministry.
- Progress would be monitored in real time through mobile applications and an online dashboard at indiawater.gov.in.
- Block and district-level water conservation plans would be drafted, and Kisan Vigyan Kendras would hold melas to promote better crop choices and more efficient water use for irrigation.
- A major communications campaign on TV, radio, print, local and social media would be carried out, with celebrities mobilised to generate awareness for the campaign.