Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP) through its community and hospital based data gathering mechanism would track clustering of acute febrile illness and seek primary case.
- The Health Ministry issued health advisory, appointing National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), as the nodal agency for investigation of outbreak- should the situation arise.
- This comes in the backdrop of the WHO designating the Zika virus and its suspected complications in newborns as a public health emergency of international concern.
- WHO has reported 22 countries and territories in Americas from where local transmission of Zika virus has been reported.
- Microcephaly in the newborn and other neurological syndromes (Guillain Barre Syndrome) have been found temporally associated with Zika virus infection.
- Rapid Response Teams (RRTs) shall be activated at Central and State surveillance units.