Mains Paper 2: IR | India and its neighborhood- relations.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims Level: Not Much
Mains Level: It is important to know the possible effects on Indian Foreign policy after these kind of incidents in the neighbor.
- The article is related to the recent ouster of the Pakistan’s PM and its possible effects on India
Why was Nawaz Sharif ousted?
- The court ruled that Mr. Sharif was dishonest in failing to disclose in his 2013 election nomination papers his association with a UAE-based company
- And therefore was unfit to continue in office
What it means for India?(short run)
- For India, it may not mean much in the short term as the Pakistan government has never been free of military interference in its policy towards India
- Since the attack on the Indian Army base in Uri last year, India-Pakistan relations have been strained
- The Kulbhushan Jadhav case worsened the ties
- Therefore, there was little chance of Sharif making any move to improve the ties with India independent of the military
What it means for India?(long run)
- It is good for India if Pakistan is demilitarised, as it desists from sending terrorists into the Indian territory
- But in the longer term, military dominance in Pakistan is not positive for India
- A free hand for military due to the political instability will increase tensions with India
- Also, with Sharif’s exit, there is little chance of any strong leader emerging in future