Mains Paper 3 : Conservation, Environmental Pollution & Degradation, Eia |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : BS VI Norms
Mains level : Bharat Emission Standards
- International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) released India’s first Type Approval Certificate (TAC) for Bharat Stage – VI norms for the two wheeler segment.
- This is India’s first certification in the two wheeler segment for the BS – VI norms that are the latest emission norms as notified by the GoI.
Quick Recap: BS Norms
- Bharat Stage norms are the automotive emission norms which the automotive manufacturers have to comply to sell their vehicles in India.
- These norms are applicable to all two wheelers, three wheelers, four wheelers and construction equipment vehicles.
- To curb growing menace of air pollution through the vehicles emission, the Govt. has decided to leapfrog from the exiting BS – IV norms to the BS- VI with effect from 1st April 2020.
How is BS VI Different from BS IV?
- The major difference between the existing BS-IV and forthcoming BS-VI norms is the presence of sulphur in the fuel.
- While the BS-IV fuels contain 50 parts per million (ppm) sulphur, the BS-VI grade fuel only has 10 ppm sulphur content.
- Also, the harmful NOx from diesel cars can be brought down by nearly 70%. In the petrol cars, they can be reduced by 25%.
- However, when we talk air pollution, particulate matter like PM 2.5 and PM 10 are the most harmful components and the BS VI will bring the cancer causing particulate matter in diesel cars by a phenomenal 80%.
- Only those vehicles will be sold and registered in India from 1st April 2020 onwards, which comply to these norms.
- ICAT is the premier testing and certification agency authorized by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Aim: Providing testing and certification services to the vehicle and component manufacturers in India and abroad.
- It has the latest equipment, facilities and capabilities to develop, validate, test and certify the engines and vehicles for the latest norms in the field of emission.
- It tests for many other facilities like crash lab, NVH lab, EMC lab and test tracks.