Mains Paper 3: Disaster Management | Disaster & disaster management
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ICOMOS
Mains level: Read the attached story
- Kerala is facing its worst floods in nearly a century that has left 223 dead in a fortnight and forced over 10 lakh people out of their homes. The Centre has declared this calamity of ‘severe nature’.
- The ICOMOS, a global monument conservation body, has launched an initiative to assess the damage to the rich cultural and built heritage in flood-devastated Kerala and set up an emergency response platform.
- ICOMOS is seeking support from the state government, the NDMA and reaching out to local conservation professionals.
Why ICOMOS in Kerala?
- Aftermath of rescue and relief it is very important to start preparations for assessing the damage and risks to the rich tangible, intangible, movable and immovable heritage that has been adversely affected by these floods.
- These include monuments, historic buildings, museum collections and artefacts of significance to the community.
- Kerala is endowed with natural beauty, and is home to a number of iconic forts, palaces and other heritage buildings, which attract a huge number of tourists every year.
Heritage Response Team
- This team for heritage will consist of architects, engineers, conservators, historians, and all those who are concerned about heritage and willing to give a helping hand.
- The ICOMOS-India chief said it has also approached the International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM) to partner in the post-disaster work.
- Rome-based ICCROM is an inter-governmental organisation dedicated to the preservation of cultural heritage worldwide through training, information, research, cooperation and advocacy programmes.
- It imbibes the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, cultural heritage and its protection which helps build resilience and enhances the ability of the affected population to participate in its own recovery.
About International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS)
- It is a professional association that works for the conservation and protection of cultural heritage places around the world.
- Now headquartered in Paris, ICOMOS was founded in 1965 in Warsaw as a result of the Venice Charter of 1964 and offers advice to UNESCO on World Heritage Sites.