From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Iconic tourists sites initiative
Mains level : Promoting tourism in India
Iconic Tourist Sites Initiative
- During her Budget speech earlier this month, Finance Minister said that 17 “Iconic Tourist Sites” in the country would be developed by the government into world class tourist destinations.
- The initiative was aimed at enhancing India’s soft power. The Sites included:
- Taj Mahal & Fatehpur Sikri (Uttar Pradesh)
- Ajanta and Ellora (Maharashtra)
- Humayun Tomb, Qutub Minar and Red Fort (Delhi)
- Colva Beach (Goa)
- Amer Fort (Rajasthan)
- Somnath and Dholavira (Gujarat)
- Khajuraho (Madhya Pradesh)
- Hampi (Karnataka)
- Mahablipuram (Tamil Nadu)
- Kaziranga (Assam)
- Kumarakom (Kerala)
- Mahabodhi Temple (Bihar)
- The government is looking at overall development from the tourism point of view in and around these sites — which includes roads and infrastructure, hotels and lodges, connectivity and access.
- As such, several ministries, from Railways to Civil Aviation, will be involved, while the Tourism Ministry will be the nodal agency.
- In keeping with international standards, interventions in and around the monuments will have elements of universal accessibility, green technology, and enhanced security for tourists.