Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Doppler Radars
Mains level: Need of these radars.
New Doppler radars
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) will add 30 Doppler radars in the next two-three years across the country
- Several of them will be in the northeast
What are Doppler radars?
- Doppler radars provide precise information about thunderstorms, dust storms, hailstorms, rainfall and wind patterns
- With a radius of 250km, they help in issuing nowcasts 2-3 hours prior to severe weather events
How it works?
- A Doppler radar is a specialized radar that uses the Doppler effect to produce velocity data about objects at a distance
- It does this by bouncing a microwave signal off a desired target and analyzing how the object’s motion has altered the frequency of the returned signal
- This variation gives direct and highly accurate measurements of the radial component of a target’s velocity relative to the radar
Right now, the IMD is working on selecting locations in hilly states to install these radars
- By the next year, Jammu and Kashmir will get four Doppler radars, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh three each
- The hilly states of Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir witness erratic patterns like thunderstorms and heavy rains and snowfall, so do the north eastern states