From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the flight
Mains level : Infrastructure facilities in NE India
Myanmar’s private airlines Air KBZ kicked off a chartered flight service from Manipur’s state capital Imphal to Myanmar’s second-largest city Mandalay.
About the flight service
- The service is a chartered flight service.
- Once it is regularised, then pricing and ticketing will become standardised.
- Imphal will become an important part of the international travel route.
What is the importance of this flight service?
- Mandalay is an important economic centre of Myanmar and the flight service is said to be benefiting both traders and tourists.
- The service is expected to transform the transportation network through Northeast India and boost the regional economy.
Other sources of connectivity to SE
- This year, Assam rolled out flight services from Guwahati to Bangkok and Dhaka.
- Guwahati is also connected to Paro in Bhutan.
- Government plans to connect Guwahati to capitals of other ASEAN countries soon by air.
- Manipur is already connected to Myanmar by road, as is Bangladesh to Meghalaya and Tripura.
- India’s access to Bangladesh’s Chittagong port via Tripura is in the pipeline, so is the completion of the Agartala-Akhaura international railway project that will connect Bangladesh railway track with North-East Frontier Railways.