Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) Mission
Mains level: India’s missile arsenal.
- India successfully conducted an interceptor missile test off the Odisha coast on Sunday night, achieving a major milestone in developing a two-layer Ballistic Missile Defence
Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) Mission
- This PDV mission is for engaging the targets in the exo-atmosphere region at an altitude above 50 km of the earth’s atmosphere .
- Both the PDV interceptor and the target missile were successfully engaged.
- In an automated operation, radar-based detection and tracking system detected and tracked the enemy’s ballistic missile.
- The computer network with the help of data received from radars predicted the trajectory of the incoming ballistic missile.
- The interceptor guided by high-accuracy Inertial Navigation System (INS) supported by a Redundant Micro Navigation System moved towards the estimated point of the interception.
- Once the missile crossed the atmosphere, the Heat Shield ejected and the IR Seeker dome opened to look at the target location as designated by the mission computer.
- With the help of Inertial Guidance and IR Seeker the missile moved for interception.
- All events were monitored in real-time by the Telemetry/Range Stations, at various other locations.