Mains Paper 2:IR| Agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: TIR Convention
Mains level: Significance of trade through Chabahar Port
- The first shipment under the United Nations ‘Transports Internationaux Routiers’ (TIR) convention arrived in India from Afghanistan through Iran’s Chabahar Port.
Transports Internationaux Routiers
- India had joined the TIR Convention (the United Nations Customs Convention on International Transport of Goods under cover of TIR Carnets) on June 15, 2017.
- The convention is adopted under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE).
- The convention allows goods to be outlined in a TIR carnet and sealed in load compartments.
- Customs officials verify the carnet and check the seals, with no need for physical checking of the contents, enabling shipments to pass through countries without being opened at borders.
- Reciprocal recognition of customs controls is at the heart of the Convention.
- This enables a facilitative and non-intrusive environment for multi-modal transport of goods through several countries.
Benefits of TIR
- The TIR convention will help in fast and easy movement of goods across multiple countries under a common customs document and guarantee.
- It will help boost India’s exports and enable greater participation in the global value chains.
- TIR will play a pivotal role in improving ease of doing business and pave the way for smoother and safer transport of goods across international borders.
- It will help boost trade between India, Central Asia, Europe and Russia.