Mains Paper 2: IR | India & its neighborhood- relations
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Need for immediate repatriation of Rohingyas
- India has handed over to Myanmar the first 50 houses built by the country for the displaced minority Rohingya Muslims in the restive Rakhine province.
Concerns for India
- Illegal Rohingya immigrants are staying mostly in the states of Jammu and Kashmir, Telangana, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Assam, Karnataka and Kerala.
- There is no accurate data regarding the number of such migrants living in the country.
- Moreover they have fraudulently obtained Indian identity documents like Aadhaar card, PAN card and even passports.
Measures for Repatriation
- India is building 250 houses in Rakhine province as part of a developmental project.
- The housing units were handed over during the President’s held delegation-level talks and decided to step up bilateral ties.
- India signed a development programme for Rakhine State in Myanmar late last year which was designed to assist the Myanmar government in Rakhine State to build housing infrastructure for displaced persons.
- This move was appreciated not just by the government of Myanmar but also by the United Nations and other agencies.