From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : India Innovation Index 2019
Mains level : Significance of the index
- NITI Aayog with Institute for Competitiveness as the knowledge partner released the India Innovation Index (III) 2019.
India Innovation Index (III) 2019
- The index attempts to create an extensive framework for the continual evaluation of the innovation environment of 29 states and seven UTs in India.
- It intends to perform the following three functions-
- Ranking of states and UTs based on their index scores
- Recognizing opportunities and challenges, and
- Assisting in tailoring governmental policies to foster innovation
- The India Innovation Index 2019 is calculated as the average of the scores of its two dimensions – Enablers and Performance.
- The states have been bifurcated into three categories: major states, north-east and hill states, and union territories / city states / small states.
Performance of states
- Karnataka is the most innovative major state in India.
- Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Telangana, Haryana, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Gujarat, and Andhra Pradesh form the remaining top ten major states respectively.
- The top ten major states are majorly concentrated in southern and western India.
- Sikkim and Delhi take the top spots among the north- eastern & hill states, and union territories/city states/small states respectively.
- Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh are the most efficient states in translating inputs into output.
- The study examines the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union territories.
- The aim is to create a holistic tool which can be used by policymakers across the country to identify the challenges to be addressed and strengths to build on when designing policies.