Mains Paper 2: IR | India and its neighborhood- relations.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the TAPI
Mains level: It is a strategically important energy project for India.
Hosting of Steering Committee
- India will host the next steering committee meeting of the proposed 1,814 kilometre-long Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline
- The decision was came during the sixth joint Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) meeting on trade, economic, scientific and technological cooperation
- India’s effort is to tap Turkmenistan’s Galkynysh gasfields, which are the fourth largest in the world
- The Turkmenistan–Afghanistan–Pakistan–India Pipeline (TAPI), also known as Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline, is a natural gas pipeline being developed by the Asian Development Bank
- The pipeline will transport Caspian Sea natural gas from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan into Pakistan and then to India.
- Construction on the project started in Turkmenistan on December 13th, 2015
- The abbreviation TAPI comes from the first letters of those countries
- Proponents of the project see it as a modern continuation of the Silk Road