World Bank official lauds efforts of Modi government, ‘It took four months in 2005 to start a business in India, but it takes only 29 days now’
- India improved its position from last year’s 134 to 130 in the World Bank Doing Business 2016 ranking.
- Last year’s report ranked India at 140, this year’s report features the recalculated 2015 rankings, in which India comes at 134.
- The WB Doing Business reports, started in 2002, review business regulations and their enforcement across 189 countries.
- Among South Asian economies, India made the biggest improvement in business regulation.
- India ranks in the top 10 in Protecting Minority Investors (8).
The improvement in two indicators, ‘starting a business’ and ‘getting electricity,’ pushed India up the ladder.