Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: BWG
Mains level: Boundary Issues between India and Nepal.
- India and Nepal have agreed to explore the possibility of using high resolution satellite images in boundary survey work.
Agreement over Boundaries
- During the 5th meeting of the Nepal-India Boundary Working Group (BWG) both sides agreed to continue mapping of no-man’s land encroachment and cross-border occupation.
- The two countries also agreed to maintain status quo in cultivation of the disputed land until an agreement is reached between the two governments.
- The meeting also agreed to finalise the work schedule for the remaining field seasons.
Nepal-India Boundary Working Group
- The BWG is a joint body constituted by India and Nepal in 2014.
- Its purpose is to conduct works in the fields of construction, restoration and repair of boundary pillars, including clearance of no-man’s land and other technical tasks.