Mains Paper 2: IR | India and its neighborhood- relations.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Aim and importance of the corridors
Second IT corridor in China
- India has launched its second IT corridor in China to get access to the growing Chinese software market
- The corridor is aimed at setting up local offices and assisting companies from Guiyang to establish software and IT units in India
- The new IT corridor in Guiyang came months after NASSCOM established its first Digital Collaborative Opportunities Plaza or SIDCOP platform in the Chinese port city of Dalian
Main focus of the corridors
- According to reports, Dalian corridor’s focus was on Internet of Things- IoT but the Guiyang corridor will focus on Big Data
- The platform in Guiyang intends to create online and offline presence to promote a “co-create culture” between India and China
India’s presence in other countries
- India IT firms have a presence in more than 70 countries in the world, generating employment for up to 12 million people worldwide
- In China, Indian IT companies are present in 10 cities around the country, with a total work-force of around 25,000 employees
Why are these corridors important?
- India has been demanding China to provide market access to Indian IT and pharmaceutical firms for several years to reduce bilateral trade deficit