Mains Paper 2: IR | India & its neighborhood- relations
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Kartarpur Sahib (Location, importance)
Mains level: India-Pakistan Cultural Relations
Kartarpur Sahib Corridor
- India and Pakistan exchanged letters committing to build the required infrastructure for visa-free direct travel by Indian Sikh pilgrims to Pakistan’s Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara.
- This has been done to allow them to mark the 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev in November 2019.
- In a rare sign of concord between the two countries, the letters were exchanged on the same day.
Inception of the Proposed Corridor
- The Kartarpur Sahib corridor was first proposed in 1999 when former PM Vajpayee took a bus ride to Lahore.
- He raised a long-standing demand from the Sikh community for easy access to the revered shrine across the border where Guru Nanak spent the last 18 years of his life.
Work to begin soon
- India proposed building a passage for the pilgrims accessible “365 days and 24 hours.
- Officials from India and Pakistan will meet soon to discuss the logistics of the corridor and point of border crossing.
- The pilgrims will traverse on the Indian side from Dera Guru Nanak Dev in Gurdaspur district directly to the border and from the Pakistani side of the border directly to Kartarpur Darbar Sahib Gurdwara.