Mains Paper 2: Governance | Important International institutions
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims Level: Highlights of the report
Mains level: Importance of breastfeeding
Breastfeeding scenario over the world
- A new report released by UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO) has ranked Sri Lanka at the top of the list of countries with early initiation of breastfeeding.
- The report released ahead of World Breastfeeding Week (August 1 to 7), says that only two in five newborns are breastfed within the first hour of life across the world.
- The first feed, or colostrum, is termed as the baby’s first vaccine and is extremely rich in nutrients and antibodies.
- Continuous and exclusive breastfeeding thereafter is also important.
Performance of the countries
- India ranks 56th among the 76 countries that were analyzed.
- Countries like Kazakhstan, Rwanda, Bhutan and Uruguay have fared much better than India, making it into the top 10.
- Azerbaijan, Pakistan and Montenegro are at the bottom.
Low awareness holds India back
- Though nearly 80% of births are institutional deliveries in India, there are missed opportunities of early initiation of breastfeeding due to low awareness among healthcare staff.
- The early initiation period has doubled in NFHS 4 as compared to NFHS 3.
- But more progress can be made by capitalizing on opportunities and creating awareness at the community level.