A study, published recently in the journal Lancet Global Health, has indicated that India is the best country in the world to offer subsidized TB diagnosis.
- Of the 12 high-burden countries where the private sector is a major player in providing health care.
- The Indian private sector offers the cheapest price for the WHO-approved Xpert MTB/RIF, a molecular test for diagnosing TB.
- Access to accurate tests at subsidised price is very important in India as nearly 80% of the population in India first seek the private sector.
- If one out of every four TB patients in the world is an Indian, one in eight TB patients in the world is a privately treated Indian patient.
- Hence, to further reduce the costs, the study asks the Indian government to waive off customs duty of 31% levied on Xpert machine and reagents.