From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nirbhay Missile
Mains level : India's missile arsenal
- In a major boost for defence, India successfully test-fired its first Sub-sonic cruise missile, Nirbhay.
- The missile, which can be deployed from multiple platforms, was launched by the DRDO from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Odisha.
- Nirbhay is a long range, all-weather, subsonic cruise missile designed and developed in India by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The missile can be launched from multiple platforms and is capable of carrying conventional and nuclear warheads.
- It is a two-stage missile powered by Solid rocket motor booster.
- It is capable of carrying warheads of up to 300kg at a speed of 0.6 to 0.7 Mach (sub-sonic)
- It has an operational range of 1000 km (long range).