Skip to the content
- News: India will appeal against the World Trade Organisation’s (WTO) verdict over its policy relating to solar power equipment
- Context: India had, as part of its National Solar Mission, imposed a stipulation that solar cells and solar modules be locally sourced
- Relevance: U.S. had filed a case against India at the WTO demanding a level-playing field for Indian and foreign solar component manufacturers
- WTO ruled in favour of the U.S.
- From India’s side: India’s capacity to produce solar components and solar cells comprises only a portion of the demand in India
- Indian manufacturers had a complaint against the U.S. counterparts for dumping in India
- In the U.S., nine states had similar programmes to protect their domestic manufacturers