Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life, Achievements of Indians in science & technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: UNSSP, UNISPACE+50
Mains level: The newscard highlights the prestige of India at the global level for its unique satellite building methodology.
ISRO to teach foreign students
- India has thrown open its satellite-building expertise to engineering graduates chosen from other countries.
- Starting this year, and for three years, a total of 90 qualifying engineers from various countries will be taught to build and test three small satellites each year.
- ISRO’s Bengaluru-based U.R. Rao Satellite Centre (URSC) — until recently known as ISAC — will train the overseas students in November and December this year through 2020.
- India is also ready to launch the small satellites built during the programme if they are good.
Indo-UN Small Satellites Programme
- Indian start-ups and participants at the meeting shared the details of the training proposal, called the Indo-UN Small Satellites Programme (UNSSP).
- The capacity-building programme was India’s contribution to the world in response to a request that the UN Office for Outer Space Affairs had made to space-faring nations last year.
- The countries are marking the 50th year of the first UN Conference on the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space — called UNISPACE+50.
- Three such conferences held earlier recognized the potential of space and laid the guidelines for human activities and international cooperation related to outer space.