From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : COMCASA
Mains level : India-US strategic partnership
- Under COMCASA pact, the first-ever secure communication link between the Indian Naval Headquarters and the US Naval Commands was recently set up.
- This will give India access to the latest US naval intelligence.
Impact of COMCASA
- With COMCASA in place, India will not only be able to obtain critical defence technologies from the US but also gain access to critical communication network of the US armed forces and real-time intelligence.
- The US has now also activated the Selective Availability Anti-Spoofing Module GPS system in some of the Indian Air Force’s C-130 and C-17 transport aircraft.
- The two upgrades will allow both sides to share real-time operational intelligence.
- India has also been assured that the US will not share data from Indian platforms with another country, nor access such data without prior permission.
- In due course, the agreement will enable both sides to operate on the same communication systems, thus ensure interoperability among the armed forces of both countries.
Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA)
- The COMCASA which paves the way for transfer of communication security equipment from the US to India was signed after the first 2+2 last year.
- Navigate to the page for additional readings:
Posted on | Custom